This page is for my
To contact me use or to comment on this page use email or the other details at the end of
Download MSWord version
Curriculum Vitae: Rick Reed
Date of Birth: 1st January 1948
Qualifications: BSc, C.Eng, MBCS, CITP.
Employment, Expertise, Experience
Status and Job Title:
Status: Semi-retired (only interesting projects considered).
Director and consultant, Telecommunications Software Engineering (part time).
and Description Language (see Z.100 series), Telecommunications software and systems design for
Service/Protocol specification (such as ISDN, B-ISDN, satellite, ATM, GSM,
DECT), Software Methods, language design (such as the Specification and
Description Language Z.100 and CHILL ITU-T Z.200) and formal description
techniques. Often work is undertaken on the basis of part-time (concurrent)
contracts to provide additional expertise and technology transfer or specific
As well as the application of the ITU
Specification and Description Language and related ITU languages, and
consultancy in the use of these languages, was the Head of delegation for the
UK at ITU-T in Study Group 17 2005-2008 (Security, languages and
telecommunication software) and held a similar position since 1989. The technical
work done within ITU-T has been to lead the studies and formulate the final
versions of standards such as the Z.100 series standards. For ITU-T Study Group
17 2009-2012 "rapporteur" (leader) for Q.13/17 (leader)
for Formal languages and telecommunication software (Z.10x-series,
Z.11x-series, Z.12x-series, Z.15x-series, Z.400, Z.450, Z.600-series and
TSE Experience and Activities (1992-2013):
Specification methods and languages in ITU-T (using UML, MSC,
ASN.1, Specification and Description Language); ETSI project teams (see below);
Use of Specification and Description Language in satellite and trunked radio system
specifications; Use of Specification and Description Language for IN products; Education in Specification and Description Language; Rapporteur for
ACTS and RACE European framework programmes (on Intelligence in Services & Networks and Service
Integration); Service engineering review within RACE; Audit of ACTS proposals;
Audit of system Architecture design; Technical writing and editing
(Specification and Description Language, RACE, SPECS); Technical co-ordination
of the RACE SPECS project (>50 person-years/year).
ETSI specialist task force (STF) and project teams (PT):
STF250 (UML profile for communicating systems), STF188 (use of SDL-2000 in
ETS: standards work), STF121 (Harmonized integration of ASN.1 - TTCN -
Specification and Description Language), STF110 (use of Specification and
Description Language in ETS: rules for testing and validation), STF97
(illustrative use of Specification and Description Language), PT60 (Design
methodology for protocols and services), PT65 (Validation of standards) and
PT37 (Use of Specification and Description Language for testability).
Managed simultaneously up to 25 engineers directly, and a
number of engineers under sub-contract externally. Technical co-ordination of
the whole SPECS project (over 80 engineers involved at project peak,
multi-national, multi-organization). Contract management including initial
preparation of accounts. Prepared license agreements for sales and
Previous Employment (1966-1991)
Was previously with GPT Telecoms Systems Group in Coventry
England (subsequently became Marconi, then absorbed by Ericsson) - Telecoms Systems Group.
Started with company in 1966 as student apprentice. Final position Head of
Future Architectures. Left when there was an opportunity to become independent.
Scope (final position):
The Future Architectures section acted as internal consultants for
software engineering, involved ongoing systems jointly being specified between
Siemens and GPT, provided support for Specification and Design Language in GPT,
and contributed to ITU-T (then CCITT) Study Group X. The section tracked
external developments and ideas, for example 1989-91 covered: Industrialization
of Formal Techniques, Framework for Object Oriented Design, Policy and Strategy
for improving system testing, the programming language for a new Siemens/GPT
system, software components and reuse, and RACE SPECS. Prior to taking this
post: technical manager for the Local Call Processing (call and switching
control) within System X.
Independent Consultant, Telecommunications Software
Engineering, from 10/91.
GPT Coventry 10/66 - 10/91.
An overview of experience follows with the most recent
items first but it is not a complete list because some work remains
confidential also it is a characteristic of consultancy work that activities
- 1993 – now Various consultancy activities such as
advice on Specifications and Description Language use and contract
Specifications and Description Language design work (Ascom, BT, Inmarsat,
Motorola, Telematics, and others).
- Jan09 - Apr13 ITU-T SG17 rapporteur for Formal languages and
telecommunication software (Q.13/17 2009-2012) see also Apr97 to Oct 08 & Nov00
to Oct04 below.
- Jun00 - now Board member of SDL Forum Society (Chairman
Jun01 until retired Oct12).
- Jan02 - Jan12 European Commission framework projects reviewer
(short term contracts from time to time).
- Jan96 - ??? (on request)
Specifications and Description Language courses.
- Jul09 - Jul09 Technical Editor SDL2009 proceedings.
- Jan90 - Oct08 Head of UK delegation to
ITU-T for SG17 and (previously) SG10.
- Jun04 – Oct05 ETSI STF 250 - UML profile for
- Jul07 - Jul07 Technical Editor SDL2007 proceedings.
- Apr05 - Apr05 Technical Editor SDL2005 proceedings.
- Mar05 - Mar05 Guest Editor COMNET Volume 48/6 Dec 2005.
- Nov00 - Oct04 Chairman of ITU-T standards group - Languages and
- Apr03 -Apr03 Technical Editor SDL2003 proceedings.
- Feb03 - Feb03 Guest Editor COMNET Volume 42/3 June 2003.
- May01 - Feb02 ETSI STF 188 - use of SDL-2000 in ETS: standards
- Apr01 - Apr01 Technical Editor SDL2001 proceedings.
- Jan00 - Dec00 Preparing Internal Course material on SDL-2000
and MSC-2000 for a Telecoms Manufacturer.
- Feb98 - Feb99 ETSI STF 121 - Harmonized integration of ASN.1 -
TTCN - Specification and Description Language.
- Sep97 - Jun98 ETSI STF 110 - use of Specification and
Description Language in ETS: rules for testing and validation
- Apr97 – Oct08 ITU-T SG17 rapporteur for
Specification and Description Language (now Q.11/17 was Q.6/10 then Q.13/17).
- Apr97-Jan01 Protocol specification for advanced satellite
- Mar97- ETSI PT97 work: illustrative use of Specifications and
- Feb97-Mar97 Technical Editor IS&N'97 proceedings.
- Oct96-Dec96 ITU-T mission
to Telebras: education/consultancy S/W
- Mar96-Dec97 Use of SDL-92 in trunked radio specification
- Apr95-Nov95 Service Engineering report for CEC DG XIII (CORBA,
- Jan95-Dec98 Rapporteur
for ACTS/RACE IS&N and ACTS Service
- 1994-Dec95 Use of SDL-92 for Intelligent Network products (CET
- 1994 ETSI PT60 and PT65 work: methodology for standards.
- 1987-Dec92 Technical co-ordination RACE SPECS - Use of formal
methods involving Alcatel, IBM, GPT, Philips, France Telecom, Dutch PTT
and other partners from 1987 (in GPT and TSE).
- 1989-91 Future Architectures GPT; participation in CEC RISE
- 1988 Moved from Head of Software Methods GPT to take lead
technical role in SPECS and CCITT co-ordination.
- 1982 Formed Software Methods section - to select improved
methods for GEC Telecommunications (subsequently GPT)
- 1981-82 Head of section: Local Call Handling software System X.
- 1975-80 Technical and managerial responsibilities for: Software
Development tools for System X; Call Accounting.
- 1973-75 Coral Compiler design (for GEC Telecoms but with RSRE)
- 1971-73 Switching Software; author assembler &
- 1970-71 Computer Aided Design, GEC Telecoms.
- 1966-70 GEC Telecoms student apprentice; BSc (Electronics)
University of Kent
Specification and description using ITU Specification and
Description Language and other techniques (acknowledged world expert);
Telecommunications system design; Call Processing techniques; Software support
system design; configuration control; CHILL language design; Compiler design;
Linker design; Debugging techniques and tools; Principles of microprogram
design. Various programming languages (CHILL, CORAL, Fortran, Assembler, Basic,
Pascal, Ada, even Algol 60 and 68) and specification techniques (Specification and
Description Language, UML, VDM, LOTOS, CCS, Z, CORE) have been used.
- Apr97-Apr13 Managed the standards work on ITU-T software
- 1988-92 SPECS technical coordination (50+ engineers);
- 1991 Future Architectures: 10 staff at GPT (plus SPECS);
- 1982 Software Methods: 8 staff;
- 1981 Local Call software: 25 staff;
- 1977 Call Accounting and Support Software: 15 staff;
- 1975 Support software: 8 staff.
- 1991-now: all TSE Contracts;
- 1987-91: SPECS for GPT;
- 1986-88 CHILL development;
- 1982-91: development software procurement;
- 1981-82: Local Call handling;
- 1977-81: System X software development facilities
(for UK industry), Call Accounting.
Selected Publications and Standards Work:
- Editor SDL Forum 2009, Design for Motes
and Mobiles, Springer – LNCS5719;
- Editor SDL Forum 2007, Design for
Dependable Systems, Springer - LNCS4745;
- Editor SDL Forum 2005, Model Driven, Springer - LNCS3530;
- Editor SDL Forum 2003, System Design, Springer - LNCS2708;
- Editor SDL Forum 2001, Meeting UML, Springer - LNCS2078;
- Co-Author: Systems Engineering Using SDL-92, North-Holland '94;
- Editor and Co-author: "SPECS", North-Holland '93;
- Editor 5th SDL Forum, Evolving methods, North-Holland '91;
- Co-author: Telecommunications Systems Engineering Using SDL,
- (Papers/Tutorials) SDL Forums 2011, 2003, '99, '95, '89, '87;
- Guest Editor, Computer Networks, 12/05 - Telecommunications and
- Guest Editor, Computer Networks, 06/03 - ITU-T System
- Computer Networks, 05/01 - Notes on SDL-2000 for the new
- Telektronnikk Vol. 96/4 2000 - SDL-2000 for new Millenium
- Computer Networks and ISDN systems 06/96 - Methodology for real
- IS&N '95 Seminar - Service Engineering;
- SPI '95 (on SDL-92 use);
- IEEE Software 11/93 (on SPECS);
- IEEE SESS '93 (on Specification and Description Language);
- Milcomms '93 (on SDL-92);
- 3rd Euro SW Quality '92 (on SPECS);
- Papers SETSS '92, '88 & '86.
- ITU-T SG17 Rapporteur Specification and Implementation
Languages 2005 - Apr13
- ITU-T SG17 Chairman Languages and Methods (ASN.1, Specification
and Description Language, MSC ...) 2000 - 2004;
- ITU-T SG10 Specification and Description Language Rapporteur
1997 - 2000;
- ITU-T Methodology Rapporteur for Specification and Description
- Edited Z.110 in 1995;
- Contribution to Draft ETS "Methodologies for Standards
Engineering - Specification of Protocols and Services";
- Rapporteur for data in Specification and Description Language
- Contributed to ITU-T standards on Specification and Description
Language and CHILL (1978-2013).
Last updated 22-Mar-2013
Laurels, Victoria Road
LA23 2DL, United Kingdom
Tel: (+44) 15394 88 462
TSE reserves the right to charge for handling unsolicited emails sent to any tseng.co.uk address at the rate of £10 per email